I’m seeking a challenging position in the development of leading edge technology working with positive thinking, high energy, innovative people to solve real world problems. My expertise and passion is in the transition of technology from the laboratory to commercialization or to military field applications. My operational experience is in the transforming of ideas to concepts of development and my forceful leadership in the execution of plans overcoming engineering and process obstacles produces results.
Expertise in adoption of innovation of leading edge technologies
Technology transition agent
Advanced technology applications
Concepts of development and operations for emerging technologies
Strong leadership for innovative organizations
Team building for advanced technology projects
Competitive technology intelligence expertise
Opening up new markets for emerging technology
Development of commercialization strategies for advanced technologies
Expertise in technology mind mapping techniques
Commercial expertise in EAR and ITAR import/export compliance
President Dolphin and Eagle Consulting, Inc., (a Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business) Technology transition, advanced concepts of application and competitive intelligence consulting from Charleston, SC. This business was established to enable me to quickly relieve the Chief Scientist at the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center who had resigned unexpectedly. Currently a number of projects are being pursued.
- Business development for TechJect, Inc. for miniature UAV controllers out of GA. Tech.
- Business development for Biodiesel technology products with Red Birch Energy out of NC
- Business development for advanced solar and electrical conversion from gasification projects with Global Green Energy of Lawrenceville, GA.
- Proposed Mobile Anonymity Framework for securing mobile phones for covert operations to Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Atlantic June 2014.
- Proposed Biometric Authentication for Mobile Users to Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Atlantic June 2014.
- Proposed Waveform in cloud communications to Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Atlantic May 2014.
- Proposed Crowd funding process for Research and development funding in the federal sector to Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Atlantic May 2014.
- Completed a TIKI Bar Science and Technology contract with Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Atlantic analyzing available technology to reduce the weight load for deployed forces and to produce an alternative energy powered backpack to operate and charge deployed electronics.
- Strategic business development for Wave Sciences Inc. in acoustic and surveillance technologies for law enforcement
- Business development for Cyber Solutions International secure key storage technologies
- Business development for advanced cryptological technology for MerlinCryption, LLC and Verbatim America.
- Business development for Nuclear fast neutron detector for Advanced Nuclear Devices, Inc.
- Business development for StemRad, Inc. for acute radiation protection devices.
- Business development for aerospace technologies from Israel.
- Red teaming, proposal development and business development for major prime contractors in Dod environment.
- Business development agent for Verco Materials, LLC in the formulation of light weight armor, automobile parts and bearing surfaces made from B4C and SiC.
- Business development agent for American Solar and Alternative Energies, Inc. for Solar, heat recovery, wind and other alternative energy solutions.
- Business development agent for Fast Track Amphibian, LLC, Texas.
- Acting as a Business Development Associate for Hydro-Phi, Inc. Doraville, Ga. to commercialize a technology to increase diesel fuel efficiency by up to 28%.
- Development of a microfluidic chipset for instantaneous blood typing. Transitioned to testing for Vibrio bacteria in oysters with NOAA. Linked to Navy Research Lab project on Horn of Africa for testing for malaria and other diseases.
- Developed a transition plan for commercializing an advanced cargo container locking systems with data logging and remote opening features through a small business in the upstate of South Carolina.
- Coordinating the technology roadmap and the teaming for the commercialization of an underwater GPS system for commercial scuba and military use.
- Working with a local inventor to commercialize a high definition 360 degree camera with no moving parts. Assisted in teaming them with a manufacturer and a prototype design company.
Chairman Advisory Board, MerlinCryption LLC, of Austin, TX transitioning encryption technology from the laboratory to the marketplace.
- Executed Operational Assessment Test with 24th Cyber Wing USAF in San Antonio, TX with successful results.
- Executed first contract for installation and prototyping of MerlinCryption products in an operational environment with Booze Allen Hamilton.
- Successfully executed a testing program with British Petroleum Data Security to test the Anti-Statistical Block Encryption. Main comment, “this algorithm is not susceptible to any known hacking tools.”
- Successfully executed a testing program with the Cyber Innovation Center in Boisser City, LA to test Anti-Statistical Block Encryption.
- This is a virtual company that operates out of Austin, TX. I was asked to step in as the interim CEO due to the severe illness of the previous CEO. I was already performing the business development for the company under a contract with Dolphin & Eagle Consulting, Inc. I’ve transitioned the CEO position to the former COO Brandon Brown.
- Briefed the Innovation director of the 24th U.S. Air Force Cyber Command in San Antonio, TX on Anti-Statistical Block Encryption (ASBE) for use in software encrypted applications. A number of follow-up programs are being considered by the USAF, the Air Force Research Laboratory and the Homeland Security Department customers.
- Proposed Crypto Modernization project to the Rapid Innovation Funding program for Space and Naval Warfare 04 code in San Diego.
- Proposed Tactical Authentication project to the Rapid Innovation Funding program for Program Executive Officer C3T for the U.S. Army.
- Proposed Crypto Modularity project to the U.S. Air Force for the Rapid Innovation Funding program.
September 2013- June 2014
Chief Executive Officer, MerlinCryption, LLC of Austin, TX. MerlinCryption, a leading-edge, encryption technology developer, secures data and communications with breakthrough security solutions. Delivering a crucial portfolio of innovative encryption-authentication platforms and encrypted USB hardware, MerlinCryption disrupts the marketplace with forward-thinking technology and effective solutions, which protect data, voice transmissions, and streaming video over wired and wireless networks for critical security systems.
- Developed a forward looking strategic plan for introduction of new technology in medical, financial, and military markets.
- Executed a partnership agreement with Verbatim America to rapidly deploy prototype encrypted USB devices in significant numbers into the adoption string for numerous markets.
- Coordinated with military and Federal sources to push certification of the encryption technology.
- Introduced MerlinCryption technology to the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, GA.
- Developed international sources for extension of the markets outside of the U.S.
July 2010-November 2011
Science and Technology Forecasting, Assessment and Transition, Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Atlantic
Program committee for Federal Laboratory Consortium, Awards committee Southeastern Region Federal Laboratory Consortium. Evaluated technologies from industry and Department of Defense for insertion into existing systems and for development of new capabilities. Extensive writing and speaking on security and application of Cloud Computing Architectures.
- Developed a process for determining the Return on Investment (ROI) of innovation programs.
- Developed a technology scouting process for finding, evaluating and marrying technology to customer requirements.
- Completed a high level study of the analysis of alternatives for Voice over IP, Secure Voice over IP, LTE, WiMAX, ODFMA and other technologies.
- Acted as the transition agent for a DARPA project for STO office on advanced sensor architectures and software operating systems.
October 2008-July 2010
Chief Technology Officer Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance, Information Operations, Information Assurance and Cyber Security Directorate, Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Atlantic
Command representative to the Federal Laboratory Consortium and to the Southeastern Regional FLC. Member of the Gartner Executive Council for Emerging Technologies. I’ve actively pursued the development of technologies from numerous small businesses and industry partners and worked to find funding sources for the development of emerging technologies.
September 2007- September 2008
Director of Office of Research and Technology Applications (ORTA) SPAWARSYSCEN Charleston
At the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center in Charleston, SC we have 2500 government civilians with about 78% of them engineers or computer scientists. By establishing the Office of Research and Technology Applications, I was able to form strong relationships with many industry partners and to set up technology transition pathways from industry to DoD applications and from our engineers to commercial applications. Many of these relationships involved Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADA) which set up the legal framework for the protection of intellectual property of both the government and the industry investigators. Through this position I was also able to reach out to the local business community and make numerous contacts on the ThinkTEC Advisory Council and the ThinkTEC Homeland Security Conference Task Force on the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce.
October 2003-September 2008
Chief Technologist of Intelligence and Information Warfare Department SPAWARSYSCEN Charleston
In 2003 I was selected to establish the position of Chief Technologist for the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Intelligence and Information Warfare department. As the only CTO in the Charleston facility I also represented Charleston at the headquarters in San Diego as the command representative for a number of reorganization efforts. The primary competencies that I brought to the CTO position were the delivery and insertion of emerging technologies to existing and future systems.
May 2002-October 2003
Advanced Technology Development for Special Forces (USSOCOM)
For two years I acted as a technology search agent for the Cypress Facility of USSOCOM. This involved the active search for commercial or laboratory level technologies that could be adapted to Special Forces applications within 9-12 months of discovery. I also wrote many of the Statements of Work and the transition plans for these technology insertions.
November 2001-May 2002
Senior Engineer, Code 74SJ
Force and Infrastructure Protection Engineering Division
SPAWARSYSCEN Charleston, SC
July 1994-July 2001
Principal e-services Manager Rockwell Collins, Y2K coordinator for all products, Import/Export compliance representative for 8500 engineers, senior systems engineer, Global Technology Strategy Manager for Competitive Technology Intelligence analysis, Strategic Technology Team.
Developing advanced web-based business systems to increase customer interactions and to provide new information delivery services including software and database downloads, online training, knowledge management and online sales.
May 1992-October 1993
Assistant for Space for Chief of Naval Operations.
While I was on Adm. Tuttle’s staff (CNO N6) I was the flagship and joint exercise coordinator for the Navy. This also included being the chairman of the design committee for the redesign of the command and control suite for the Sixth Fleet flagship, USS Belleau Wood.
March 1991-March 1992 U.S. Naval War College, College of Naval Warfare, Graduated 1 of 32.
- Advanced research associate on "Application of submarine technology and experience to the space program." Briefed National Space Council, changed both atmosphere control limits and casualty procedures for Space Station.
February 1988-January 1991
Captain USS Daniel Boone (SSBN629 Blue) -A front line Ballistic Missile Nuclear Submarine of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet. Launched four Trident I ICBMs in operational weapon system test of strategic force capabilities. I was redirected to the USS Daniel Boone after the previous captain was relieved due to running the ship aground coming out of shipyard. I took a demoralized crew and transformed them from the last boat of the eight ship squadron to the number one boat in the squadron in three years. Within one year of my relief as Captain of USS Daniel Boone they were awarded the Omaha Trophy as the number one Strategic Ballistic Missile Submarine in the U.S. Fleet.
Publications, Speeches and Awards
- Published an article on the adoption of smartphone technologies in the battlefield titled, "Can you hear me now?" in the Connector magazine for the Charleston Defense Contractor's Association.
- Published article on “Offensive Cyber Warfare” in Naval Institute Proceedings, December 2011
- Speaker on innovative product development for the American Indian Chamber of Commerce national meeting in Charleston, SC.
- Speaker at Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce Innovation Summit Nov 2010 on Innovative development of new technologies and teaming to speed product design.
- Published chapter in Medical textbook, “Innovative product development and technology adoption for medical applications”
- Published “Application of cloud technologies to undersea warfare intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) Information—Bridging the gap between submarine platform employment and ubiquitous access to cloud computing” and briefed paper at Joint Undersea Warfare Conference.
- Presented “Aggressive Engagement of COTS in DoD”, to Military & Aerospace conference, 2010
- Published article on “Aggressive Technology Engagement” in CDCA, 2010.
- Presented “Security for Cloud Computing Applications” to IDGA conference generating full page write-up in Government Computer News and establishment of IPT for Cloud Computing for Navy applications for SPAWAR, 2010.
- Presentation to the Marcus Evans Battlespace Awareness Conference April 2009, “Processing Intelligence Information to Provide a Virtual and Continuous Picture of the Battlespace”
- Published in the C4ISR Journal article, “The new IT reality” April 2009
- Awarded ThinkTec Award by the Charleston Chamber of Commerce 2008
- Presentation on the adoption of Commercial Off-the-shelf technologies at the Military & Aerospace conference in San Diego March 2008
- Delivered speech to the Marcus Evans Countering IEDs Conference in Washington DC October 2006 on topic of “Technology Applications in IED Challenges”. Evaluated as highest peer rated speaker at the conference. .
- Presentation to Marcus Evans Sensor Fusion Conference, “Adoption of Technology Innovations” Nov 2005
- Presented paper, “Transition of advanced technologies to military, homeland security and law enforcement users” to SPIE conference April 2004.
- Presented and invited paper to the IEEE/EIA International Frequency Control Symposium and Exhibition June 6-9, 2000, "Building competitive advantage through knowledge management and e-commerce in the oscillator manufacturing industry."
- S. Naval Institute Proceedings cover article on an Information Warfare scenario, “Ducks in the Desert 2010” July 1996.
- Completed PV-203 Solar Systems Design and Installation course at Solairgen School of Solar Technology.
- Completed Level III Science and Technology Management Acquisition qualifications at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL during tornadoes of April 2011.
- MIT course titled “Leading and Managing Innovative Organizations”
- Harvard Senior Executive Fellows Program Kennedy School of Government
- Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) in Information Technology Management with NOVA Southeastern University. Dissertation "Factors affecting the adoption of e-commerce in the Aerospace Industry".
- California Institute of Technology course on Competitive Technology Intelligence
- Master of Arts in National Security and Strategic Studies U.S. Naval War College
- Master of Science in Management Salve Regina University
- Command qualifications for Navy Nuclear Power Program.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering U.S. Naval Academy